EQUIVALENCE OF FOREIGN HIGHER EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
Those who have foreign degrees (Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. degree) may apply for equivalence with the University of Lisbon (ULisboa). This procedure is based on a scientific reassessment of the work developed aiming to obtain said foreign degree, as set forth by Decree-Law no. 283/83, of 21 June, and it is based on a case-by-case assessment of the level, duration and programme contents.
- Portuguese citizens;
- Foreign citizens from countries:
a) With whom there are specific agreements governing equivalence with the effects set out in Decree-Law no. 283/83, of 21 June;
b) Lacking such agreement, whose legislation grants Portuguese citizens, under the principle of reciprocity, the rights provided for in Decree-Law no. 283/83, of 21 June.
In order to have the foreign higher education degree recognised, the following documents must be submitted:
– In order to obtain equivalence to the Bachelor’s degree:
The equivalence to the Bachelor’s degree is requested at the University of Lisbon School of Law, with the Academic Division. The request must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Model 526 duly filled in. This form can be purchased at the Treasury of the School of Law or at the Portuguese Mint and Official Printing Office (Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda);
- Diploma certifying title to the foreign degree or diploma for which equivalence is requested;
- A document issued by the competent bodies of the foreign University with transcripts of the subjects which the student passed and which led to obtaining the degree or diploma for which equivalence is requested, as well as the duration of the studies leading to said degree or diploma and the corresponding final grade, or if not possible, the partial grades.
Additional elements deemed necessary to examine the application may be requested, in particular, eligibility criteria, regulations and curricula.
The aforementioned documents must be properly certified by the Portuguese consulate in the country where the degree was completed, or through Apostille pursuant to the Hague Convention.
Original documents not drafted in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish languages must be accompanied by a translated certified document by the Portuguese consulate in the country where the programme was completed.
– In order to obtain equivalence to the Master’s degree:
Application to equivalence to the Master’s degree is filed with the Rectory of ULisboa.
– In order to obtain equivalence to the Ph.D.:
Application to equivalence to the Ph.D. degree is filed with the Rectory of ULisboa.
- Decree-Law no. 283/83, of 21 June – On the system for equivalence/recognition of foreign higher education degrees to the corresponding Portuguese degrees.
- Ordinance no. 1071/83, of 29 December – Approves the forms of the exclusive models of the Portuguese Mint and Official Printing Office (Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda) for applications for equivalence/recognition of foreign degrees.
REGISTRATION OF THE DEGREE RECOGNITION
It is possible to register the diploma obtained in a foreign institution of higher education. This mechanism aims to simplify the recognition of foreign degrees, encouraging the movement of graduates in academia and in the labour market.
The list of countries that may benefit from the academic recognition is available at the General Resolutions of the Foreign Degrees Recognition Committee.
Those interested in obtaining recognition of their qualifications, regardless of the level, must submit an application addressed to the Dean of the ULisboa.